Sainthood Versus Sufism presents a contrast between two shades of rigorous Islamic discipline.Sainthood when diluted by music becomes Popular Sufism.
MUSIC IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY ISLAM AS IS IN HINDUISM
At a later stage some of the saints sought some justification to resort to music firstly to attract gatherings of people to preach them Islam and secondly to feel some spiritual glorification through the sublime elation caused by Music. The genre is called Sama’a. The singers are called Qawwaals. This music is mainly originated in Iran and at present housed in Pakistan and India.
Jalaal-u-Din Roomi one of the Founder of Sufism inclusive of course Music which he proclaims to restrain up to only very self-disciplined listeners. He is of the opinion that as Fig is not for Every Bird, so also music is not for everybody.
NO ONE CAN STAND AT THE SLIPPERY SLOPE
If you once allow music, in a spiritual sitting or gathering.gathered the uplift of intellectual faculties and spiritual glorification.Allowing one kind of music and disallowing another kind is a slippery slope. As also is listening music not more than for one hour. What will you do if an overwhelming majority of the audiences may favor more music. Therefore, viewpoint of Jalaal-u-Din Roomi is not practicable. It is only an abstraction expressed by Roomi for an aesthetically appreciation of music.
NO FIRSTHAND AUTHORITY IN FAVOR OF MUSIC IN ISLAM
Following are levels of admittance of a practice:
1. Mostahib: The Practice that is very much appreciated by God.
2. Mastojib: The practice that is Obligatory from God. If you don’t practice it, you will be committing a wrong in the eyes of God.
3. Halal: The thing or practice that is allowed by God.
4. Makruh: The thing or practice that is neither halal nor haram but it depends on the whim and caprice of the user, to use it or not to use it.
5. Haram: The practice that is forbidden by God.
According to the above five-fold criterion, the music is Makruh just like cigarette or other useless things in the spiritual context only. Just as cigarette is neither useful nor harmful for our spiritualism, so also is music. But music is not considered harmful for health as is cigarette.